Sunday, January 27, 2008

Birthing Circus

I am so glad Max is following his heart by starting this blog called Nurturing Whole Families. He taught me many years ago, when we started our parenting journey together, to follow my heart and listen to my instincts, and here we are 15 years later still following our hearts on this road less traveled.

Max has really been listening to all my rantings about the birth world for years. Wow! One of my passions is birth. (You'll hear more of my other passions in future blogs I'm sure.) Birth happens instinctually when women are left to birth in a safe and supported environment, which unfortunately is not what hospital are. The current story around birth is complicated and I want to suggest to anyone interested in finding out more, to view an independent film called The Business of Being Born. Don't be put off by Ricki Lake being the producer. Our midwife is featured in the film and I am pretty sure she was Ricki Lake's midwife. I went to a birthing conference years ago and Ricki sat right behind me. Ricki is also a doula.

There are plenty of books to read also. Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block is one I just read and loved and couldn't put down. Just reading about the bizarre 1965 patented Blonsky, a merry-go-round birthing contraption (which thankfully never was made) in the introduction made me realize how far off the track we are with birth. That someone thought spinning mom around (while lying supine), creating a force of 7 G's, while sucking baby out at the same time, then having baby land in a basket, was a good idea is absurd to me not to mention like birthing at the circus. "Ladies and Gentlemen - Welcome to the Greatest Show on Earth!" Birth is the most spectacular and life-changing event on earth. And not just the baby coming out, but the birthing that happens within - to the parents who follow the wisdom of the baby. They are the teachers....

...more on the teachers next time....

Denise

No comments: